What is Homebrew?
Homebrew usually refers to software that is not authorized by Nintendo. It allows you to run homebrew games, tools like save editing and backup, and emulators for various older systems.
In most cases, running homebrew on your console is 100% free using just the Internet Browser. There are also various other exploits in commercial games to get homebrew running.
What is Custom Firmware?
Custom Firmware ("CFW") enables you to use more advanced hacks that userland homebrew can't easily do. For instance, signature patches let you install unsigned titles that appear right on your HOME Menu.
CFW can be easily set up on any console that is on 9.2.0-20 or lower. Other versions can be downgraded, most for free or with just an exploit game.
Why should I hack my console?
With Homebrew access, you can:
- Play many out of region game cards with Region free Launcher or HANS
- Customize your HOME Menu with custom themes and badges
- Use "ROM hacks" for games that you own and take gameplay screenshots with HANS
- Backup, edit, and restore saves for many games
- Play games for older systems with various emulators, using RetroArch or other standalone emulators. (Works best with a New Nintendo 3DS)
- Continue being able to use Nintendo eShop and online gameplay without updating to the latest system version
With using Custom Firmware, you can use everything listed above, in addition to:
- Install homebrew titles to your system, and have them appear on your HOME Menu
- Dump your game cards to a format you can install, and play them without needing the card
- New 3DS only: stream live gameplay to your PC wirelessly with NTR CFW
- Play all games from any region easily, including ones Region free Launcher/HANS can't run
- Run many old Nintendo DS flash carts that were blocked long ago or never worked on Nintendo 3DS
- Run custom firmware safely and reliably from boot with arm9loaderhax
- Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew
How do I get these hacks?
Visit this website on your PC (if you aren't using one already), and click the "Start hax" button to begin the process.
Unless otherwise specified, you should not update your system, as you might hinder or remove your ability to run Homebrew or CFW on your device!
For issues with this website, create a new issue on GitHub.
For issues/assistance with other things (using entry points, etc.), come join us on the #3dshacks IRC channel on Rizon or 3DS Hacking Discord.
Be sure to also check out the Frequently Asked Questions.